Sunday 8 February 2009

The Island of Montreal

FROM HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA TO MONTREAL, PQ. . . after happily wandering about in Germany for a few months and taking a long break from this blog, I return, but this time writing from my new home in beautiful Montreal!

I have heard academics talk at length about "the city" and the implications of dwelling in big cosmopolitan centers, and I have certainly visited quite a few of them, but this is the first time that I have really experienced the excitement, the noise, the confusion, the occasional loneliness, and the perpetual surprises of everyday life in a city. My room has become my blissful sanctuary, the quiet eye of the storm of people and cars, where I am always accompanied by books, tea, and the scent of warm vanilla. . .

To be continued. . .

No comments: